Thursday, September 12, 2013

Marianne...goes to the gym?!

Even though this body of mine is 21 years old it certainly doesn't feel like it at the moment. I mean, I should be at the prime years of my life right now! And I don't want to feel lethargic and tired all the time anymore. So, I decided to put my bitterness of the trend aside and try to be a little more open minded about the whole gym craze that everyone (and by everyone I mean a few people on Instagram and Tumblr) loves so much that it's become pretty much a lifestyle for some (or at least appears that way). Because you know, even though some people come off as conceited and aggressive..ly determined with their attitude towards it you have to admit that they seem to have a shitload of energy.

Okay okay, the title of this post is not entirely true since I haven't actually stepped foot in an actual gym area but I've taken a few group exercise classes to motivate me to push harder. I mean, avoiding the public humiliation of looking unfit and being singled out by your instructor in front of a bunch of strangers is a great motivator.

But then there are shitty things about the setup of of these classes such as not getting the moves while everyone else does so it feels like you've just accidentally walked into a dance rehearsal, bumping into people, limited space, the fear of accidentally punching someone, the fear of accidentally punching yourself, standing next to a person who sweats so much you're afraid that you'll slip on it, the smell of that sweat etc. And that's just the cardio classes. The yoga/pilates ones are killer because everyone looks like the type of people who can bend themselves into a pretzel while I can't even touch my toes or keep my legs straight. But you know, I'm glad I decided to try something new and I kind of like it too. I feel bad that I judged people on it.

2 comments:

  1. #doyouevenlift? LOL jks Marianne. Good on you for trying something new! I know I'm also guilty of judging gym junkies...hypocritical because I'm pretty much one of them now... (hopefully that did not come across as arrogance!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all! I totally have a new admiration for you folk. Exercise is hard :O

    ReplyDelete