Thursday, August 29, 2013

Food Talk

A friend of mine were talking when they said that at her restaurant they sometimes add chicken stock to their vegetarian rice. I thought this was sort of disturbing and told them that it was unethical to do that. The reason I thought this is if something claimed on a menu as vegetarian, I would expect that everything in that dish would contain absolutely no meat products. They disagreed saying that not every detail can't be mentioned in a menu and that it was the responsibility of the customer to ask about everything they order about their diet concerns and at a Chinese restaurant customers should expect that they use meat in everything. I guess if someone had a nut allergy they would ask about every dish they order but I don't know if this is the same issue or not. Either way it makes me think of all the vegetarians that left that restaurant thinking that they had a meal that aligned with their ethics when really they unknowingly just had a sauce that came from stewed chicken bones because like me, they assumed 'vegetarian' means no meat. I don't know, am I just being too PC?

1 comment:

  1. not unreasonable to think that at all. mum's a vegan and it's happened a couple of times, and she wasn't all that happy about it either.

    ReplyDelete