Monday, August 12, 2013

The tale of the four eyed freak

Back in primary to high school I really hated having to wear glasses all the time since I felt like they pigeonholed me into the Asian nerd category. But in a way I kind of liked my face to be defined by the thick ass plastic frames I wore since it was nice to be able to hide behind them looking like my friends and not have my face exposed. Come university I decided it needed to shed from this loser nerd/looking like a fob identity that was probably all in my head and try light thin frames that didn't take over my face and wear contacts as much as possible.
And now eyeglasses are more than ever become a trendy fashion accessory, a choice to wear for people blessed with 20/20 vision and for some reason that really annoys me. You know, that hot-but-quirky-nerd look started by Zooey Dechaneslelleal. What really annoys me is I've changed back to the black frames and I can't bloody pull off the hot-but-quirky look. I JUST LOOK LIKE THE NERD I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ONLY EMPHASIZED BECAUSE THESE LENSES ARE MASSIVE.

1 comment:

  1. You're not fob, just hipster.
    That's what I keep telling myself.

    Although I did briefly come across an asian guy with the exact same glasses as me at uni, and I instantly pigeonholed him as a "fob" and then quickly became self-conscious thinking that others must too think I'm a fob and that I didn't want to look like "him"....and it's just an endless cycle.
    Moral of this story: am I a judgmental bitch?


    ;)

    ReplyDelete